Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A New Day

As of yesterday I've banned television altogether in the mornings. Only ONE show is now allowed in the afternoon. (about the time they get super cranky) Somehow I found myself on that proverbial slippery slope and I realized that my girls were spending A LOT of time watching TV. Granted, what they watch is usually educational or harmless (like Little Bear) but still... seeing Aidan sitting on a couch or listlessly playing while watching Little Bear is not what I want. It was easier than I thought. I heard a lot of "I wanna watch ___Mommy" but there weren't a lot of complaints. Happily enough it really worked well for this first morning. We played Legos, "flew kites", read books, played with the train, vacuumed, raced the dogs around the living room, colored, did some worksheets, etc. It's amazing how much better of a Mother I feel (and just better in general) when our mornings are productive and not wasted with watching television.

Oh, and the girls version of flying kites is to run around with the two helium balloons left over from Ainsley's birthday. I attached plastic rings on the strings to keep them off the ceiling and within reach. Aidan used her newly evolved imagination and decided she was flying a kite.

"Leeeet's go fly a kite... Up to the highest height... let's go fly a kite and send.. it.. soooaring...."

3 comments:

amanda said...

might have to borrow your fly a kite idea! sounds fun :)

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness. I feel the same way! It is amazing how much better of a mom you feel when you do that. and trust me, we have our mornings that involve lots of Mickey and Pooh, and you just don't feel like you accomplish much. But the days when the TV is OFF for MOST of the day. You feel really good! and you know your kids had way more fun!!! I know Luke always does! I totally understand this..... :)

Peterson Party said...

How's the no tv working out? After Ella was born, Arin started watching a lot of tv in the morning (PBS shows and Dora and Diego, WonderPets, etc.) I knew it was too much when I could tell time according to which show was on! How sad! She still watching sometv, but nothing like it was. We've picked back up on preschool so that helps deter the tv watching. Hope it is still working at well for you guys.