Saturday, June 05, 2010

Our First Day of Church


We finally made it! Last Sunday we actually walked through the doors at the right time and everything.

Well?

It's big

and there are a lot of people

and a bookstore

and a coffee shop

and is nothing like I've ever known church to be.

It is most definitely a long way from the churches of yesterday

it's a Megachurch... a business.

Immediately I went to check out the preschool area. It's quite amazing. They have an elaborate check in system... locked hallways... multiple helpers for each classroom. They even have a viewing room where you can look though the windows to watch without anyone seeing you.

Aidan did not want to stay but I frankly told her she didn't have a choice. I brought her to her classroom and got her started with coloring. She wasn't happy and was trying not to cry but we had a talk and I said that it was okay to be scared but that she could be brave... I knew she could do it... and I explained that being brave was when you are scared but you try it anyway. She finally said "okay Mommy, I'll try" and gave me a hug and said "good-bye". Later, when we came to collect her .. we saw through the window her chattering to her helper very animatedly. The helper was bored and looking away and it struck me that someone could be in Aidan's company and have her attention and NOT just want to bask in her "Aidanness" (LOL! Oh no... I'm not a doting Mother!) Aidan was thrilled to see us and said she really enjoyed it because they let her dance to some music but that they wrote her name on her paper wrong.
(spelled it with an e not an a)

Both John and I went with Ainsley into her class. I knew she would cry and be upset so I had the idea to get her settled into an activity with both of us before leaving. Yeah well... the room she went into was for the younger 2's. Admittedly she isn't quite yet 2.5 but there literally were just a handful of baby-baby toys spread throughout the room and 3 or 4 wooden puzzles. Kids were all over the place and I stood there desperately trying to find something that she might like to play with and really couldn't find anything. The workers there just wanted us to leave... which I understood because working in preschool and daycare.. we all want the parents to leave b/c usually the kid will be fine if the parents don't make a big deal. However, I know Ainsley and knowing her as I do, I know she'll cry a looong time and that she needed some reassurance. Alas the only thing I could find for her to like was cheerios... so I handed her over and happily said good-bye and that we'll come get her. She screamed. I went to the viewing room to watch. She kept screaming. We went into church. I waited about 10 minutes and then checked on her. They were outside and I couldn't see her. 10 minutes later... John checked on her and said she was being held and pouting. Obviously, she didn't enjoy herself. When we picked her up I went to watch them get her (they bring the kids to you... like a coat check). The girl in charge of her wasn't too happy with her. They were sitting in a rocking chair and it's quite obvious Ainsley was being a handful the whole time. So I saw the girl picking her up and hauling her down the hall... not meanly but not like a person overly enamored of her charge either. It was hard to see although I get it. I really do. I'm just used to people thinking Ainsley is adorable and funny... not obnoxious and ready to be rid of her. When she saw me she lost it. They set her on the counter (as I said.. a coat check) and she hurled herself into my arms crying "Mommy Mommy Mommy!!!" I've never had a hug that tight from her. And then.... LOL... they told me what a good time she had!!!!

(later I asked if she played outside and she boldly told me that she did NOT play and that she cried and yelled for "Mommy, Daddy, Grandma, Aidan" the whole time.)

As for the classrooms they were in... they both were misplaced. Although I'm aware and was aware how silly it was... I was slightly annoyed with the ones they put them in. Aidan's room was for older 2's and younger 3's. Aidan is over 3.5 and... well... she doesn't really fit with her age level anyway. The room she was in had doll houses to play with and multiple toys but the only "activity" was crayons and paper. Her room was perfect for Ainsley... especially with the doll houses. The kids in the room across the hall on the other hand were doing an art and crafts project and reading stories. Aidan should have been in that room. Of course I didn't say anything because that would have been really silly and I said to myself that if we continue to come... I'll work it out. Thankfully, later, someone told me that next week is switch week and both of my girls will be moving up into the next class.
(and No I didn't say a word...
the information was volunteered)

Yes, we are returning next week. I'm all for giving things a chance. Besides we either picked the best or the worst week to come because instead of a regular lecture/sermon we got a lesson on the history of the church and a plea for more money. (hear that cynic in me roaring?) Sooo, I'd like to see a "normal" speech. As for the girls.. I did not expect them to enjoy themselves so nothing came as a surprise. They have NEVER been left with anyone not VERY close to them. I knew it would be hard for them but I knew it would be good for them. (yes, I subscribe to the "tough love" practice sometimes)

Anyway... perhaps tomorrow...

a.) there'll be a real lecture to listen to

b.) I won't be sitting on the edge of my chair thinking about the girls and anxiously looking at the number screen that tells you if you need to come get them and so I'll be able to pay attention.

c.) the girls will be put in the right class

d.) Ainsley will perk up a little if she gets to play with the dollhouse.

We'll See!

No comments: