Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Impulse Control- An Anecdote


(McMama related this to me and I HAD to write it down)

Aidan has a tendency to be obnoxious about asking for something over and over and over again. (There's the 3 year old in her!) Today I went to a doctor's appointment and left the girls with McMama. Apparently, Aidan was bugging the mess out of McMama and kept asking if she could have lunch... when was it lunch time... is she going to fix lunch soon... etc.

McMama told her how irritating that was and that of course she would fix lunch but Aidan needed to wait patiently and quit asking. Aidan said "okay" and she "understood".

Then she asked again but clapped her hands to her mouth...knowing she shouldn't have

McMama says "Aidan did you not understand anything I said to you?"

she replied...

"Yes Grandma but my mind keeps telling me to say it. I knew I wasn't supposed to ask but my mind keeps saying....

( she lowered her voice and started whispering)

"go ask Grandma for some lunch"
"go ask Grandma for a snack"
"maybe Grandma will give you a drink"

and then

"It's my mind telling me to do it and before I can stop myself, I do it. It keeps talking to me"

So, McMama asks her "Aidan, who controls your mind?"

"You do Grandma"

'No, Aidan, you control your mind. Daddy controls his mind. Mommy controls her mind. I control my mind. Everyone controls their own mind."

Aidan thinks for a minute

and then very seriously says...

"No Grandma... I don't think everybody does"

LOL! Gotta Love her!

2 comments:

Denae said...

haha thats great!

Joyful Learner said...

She's too funny! I love that she thinks for herself!