Sunday, June 20, 2010

Mommy May I?


This week there have been new developments!

First of all, Aidan has discovered reading in her head as opposed to reading aloud. She actually asks me "Please may I read it in my head?" Of course, with her doing so, I have no clue as to how well she's reading or if she's skipping words but as long as she wants to... I will totally encourage it. I've caught her sitting by herself reading a book "in her head" all week.

Secondly, she's skipped again... this time with fluency. Every time we take a break from "school" she jumps ahead. (Hmmm...) Very rarely does she sound out anything now and rarer still does she sound them out aloud. I know she's sounding them out sometimes in her head because she pauses... but mostly... she's reading steadily without a thought about what the words are.

As I said in my last post... Aidan read A LOT of books. Most of them were "fluency readers" (I call them thus because they are below her actual level but they give her practice with reading easily and fluidly) but some of them were more "meatier" books.

Examples of "Fluency" readers:

Biscuit
Silly Sara
Mouse Makes Words

Examples of more "Meatier" readers:

Danny and the Dinosaur
Frog and Toad Together
Amelia Bedelia

So, this week, I have proven that even if their body spends the week doing nothing... their brains are still hard at work!


2 comments:

Karin said...

hey there!

We are still without a computer!

How is Singapore going? We are totally loving MEP and will get back to some SM in a month or so.

Raising a Happy Child said...

When Anna started reading, it was the same - she made giant jumps all the time. She reads mostly in her head nowadays, that's why we have dedicated reading together time where I force her to slow down and read everything. I also make sure to ask her comprehension questions to make sure that she didn't completely "skip" over an entire book :)