Saturday, July 10, 2010

Our Week

Math

I put up Singapore math a while ago and have been letting Aidan do "fun" math. She's been working on grouping and adding and subtracting by using different methods such as a number line, a hundred board, popsicle sticks, etc. This week we were running through the first of the abacus activities (Right Start). I do not intend to hold off on Singapore for long but I decided that I didn't want Aidan to just know her math facts... but to understand why. I want the girls to know all sorts of different ways to come up with answers so that they truly understand the relationships between the numbers. This week was really fun because she's starting to automatically understand before I even explain anything. Also, I've discovered Aidan LOVES word problems. We've been playing
"let's make up a word problem" all week.
"If there are three buses in a parking lot
..."


Reading/ Phonics

Aidan has been going through her stack of library books as well as reading a lot of her own. She's definitely reading on a 2nd grade level at this point. She also worked a little in her E.T.C book.

Ainsley started sounding out cvc words this week. She has only done it a few times as she is only on occasion interested in doing so... but I made these cute little cards for her. They're double sided. She carries them in her little tin box and pulls them out and practices when she wants. I plan to make more and color-code them based on what vowel sounds are used. She also started working through the first Bob book. I must admit I'm proud of her and curious as to how quickly she'll progress.




Play- Based Learning

We're starting to drown in puzzles and I'm starting to beg Aidan to play with something else!! She moved onto the 300-350 piece ones and spends most of her day putting different ones together.

For Ainsley...I've been putting trays together with Montessori type activities...


Ainsley using tweezers to transfer objects into her bucket

This week was mostly a lot of random, unstructured FUN!!


2 comments:

Raising a Happy Child said...

Aidan is such a talented girl. It's amazing that she can do 300 piece puzzles - she must have incredible visual discrimination abilities. And it looks like young sister follows her footsteps nicely :)

Karin said...

Julie also LOVES word problems! Have you checked into Singapore's Challenging Word Problems?