Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Friendly Visits



Today I drove the girls up to visit my friend, Meredith, and her family. I've always enjoyed being around her family so it was a pleasant day. The girls behaved wonderfully except for a period when they had a bit of a sugar high... but it was a lovely time. I realized I needed to come visit more often. The last time they had seen us... I was pregnant with Ainsley and I should have no excuse because they only live an hour away.

While there... the girls "played" the piano and I started thinking hard about when I might get them lessons. I decided a while ago that part of their homeschooling will be music lessons... starting them out with a required year of piano. I don't want to wait too late but I don't wish to do it too early so I've been going back and forth with when to start them. I've always thought Ainsley was the more musically inclined out of the two but Aidan somewhat surprised me because as she sat there ... she started picking out notes and chords that sounded fairly nice together. So perhaps both girls will be suited for it... but for different reasons. (Ainsley because she's musically inclined and Aidan because she's a serious perfectionist)

What I do know, however, is that I really enjoyed seeing both girls sitting in front of a piano and I sincerely wish I had one in our house.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I started piano at 5 years old - my older sister started teaching me. The earliest I have taught any child is starting at age 3 - which is really too early - but we did progress and he wanted to learn because his brothers and sisters were also taking lessons. He is now one of the few teens in his high school band class that can actually read sheet music without a problem.

I would say 5-6 is the best age for starting.

I'm planning on teaching my daughter, Petra, piano either at 3 or 3.5 years. And in a few years she will start violin lessons.