Sunday, July 18, 2010

Meet: KODAK



I rescued a young raccoon from the highway. He'd been crossing the road with his Mother and siblings but got hit by a car. When John and I drove by... he was crawling around and dragging his hind end. I made John stop and turn around. It became quite a scene with other passersbys and two cop cars with their lights flashing. Everyone said to leave it alone and the officer would "take care of it" but I saw that only it's back hip/leg was hurt and I saw a scared, young animal and I didn't see the point in trying not to help it when it's injury might not be life-threatening. So, John went home, grabbed a cat carrier and we brought it home.

I named him Kodak.

At first we weren't sure if Kodak would live but after a few days passed I started thinking he had a chance. If he had horrible internal bleeding... wouldn't he have died already? Also, he started interacting with me, eating well, and moving around a bit. I spent hours and hours emailing and internet-searching and calling people trying to locate a rehabilatator. To my horror... I learned that raccoons in this area are thought to be vermin and are exterminated and those who would have helped them were so tied up in red tape because they're a rabies vector species that they couldn't help him. It made me mad. I'm aware of the rabies risk. Believe it or not... I never touched one hair on Kodak. I wanted to... but didn't. We interacted by a dowel stick. I learned that he liked marshmallows and bananas and only likes watermelon a little bit. He preferred the cat food to the dog food but didn't like it wet. I saw how intelligent he was first hand. I even went to Walmart and bought him a few baby toys so that he wouldn't be bored.

I got really excited when I talked with a lady who was going to take him. But then she never called me back when supposed to.

Finally, when Kodak was actually standing on his legs and acting amazingly well.... HOW HARDY THESE CREATURES ARE!!!... I finally found him a new home.

Yup!

No sad story here!

Kodak went to a raccoon sanctuary...
...found but only 1 hour away
(and I had spoken with people in Wisconsin and Virginia!)

Within days they declared him healthy and recovered enough to be released.

LIVE LONG KODAK!!

1 comment:

Working Through said...

Oh !! I love him, so adorable. ;-)