Thursday, May 13, 2010

Review: Magic Series

I spent a LOOOOng time in Books a Million looking over every series of books I could find. Finding books at Aidan's level with appropriate language and with an engaging storyline is hard. There are many "classic" books I'd love to read to her but most of them... I need to hold off on until she's a little older.

I found this cute little series: Magic Puppy, Magic Kitten, and (I later found out through Amazon... Magic Pony.) The stories are extremely formulaic but in the case of a 3 year old... that works for us. We are now almost done with the first book "A New Beginning" and I must say... I'm quite thrilled with it. To my surprise it is well written with nicely phrased sentences and an expansive vocabulary (more so than I was expecting anyway). The story is above her reading level but not so high she does not understand it and more importantly... she is enjoying it!!!
So, for the moment let me say WHOO HOO!!!

Hopefully the ensuing stories will be just as engaging and enjoyable for Aidan. I'm thinking she'll really enjoy the Pony stories since she's a horse lover.


1 comment:

Karin said...

Hi!
Ok, we really enjoy Sonlight Science K~! The Discover & Do videos are really just short clips of the experiments in the "Science Activities" book. Some of them are 30 second long and other may be 2 or 3 minutes long. And they only have you watch a couple (depending on how many activities are on the pages in the Science Activities book). So Squeak enjoys watching them. They really don't take up much time and they just show you ahead of time what to expect in the experiments.

Are you thinking of getting Sonlight Science K? I've already decided to go with Science 1 as well before beginning God's Design of Science.