Saturday, May 08, 2010

Dear Ainsley

You scared the mess out of me again. I had to take you to the hospital this week. You were running a 104 fever and so very lethargic! You would barely move, you weren't very responsive, and you kept falling asleep. I HATED seeing you like that! It turns out you've had a U.T.I. and I wasn't aware of it. I feel like a bad Mother even if in retrospect... I can say that although there might have been signs... there was nothing consistent or overly obvious. However, I do not intend to let that sneak past me again... I know what to look for the next time.

While you were in the hospital I sat beside you... stroking your hair... and watching you. Some little part of me was enjoying just being with you. It's so rare to get you alone. I was watching you sleep and looking at your face... your long lashes... your elfin chin... the curve of your cheeks. I saw in your face a glimpse of what you'll look like when you're older.

I was also thinking about you and your personality and how awesome of a person you are. You are so smart and observant and funny and such a joy to talk to. You have a lot of things to say and to remark upon. You voice your opinion easily and don't take much flak from anyone. One thing I get a kick out of about you is that you're "quick." You answer people with logical and sometimes really funny responses. I am eagerly and excitedly awaiting to see how you'll turn out. I think you are going to be an awesome person that people will love to know.

I also LOVE the fact that you're social. When we returned to the hospital for your re-check... you were talking to everyone... charming and surprising them with your words and observations and your knowledge of the colors. LOL!

You have a new love now... Diego. I've never really been a fan for either Dora or Diego but you LOVE Diego. (your first crush!!!) Aunt Bridgett recorded a few episodes for you so you lay on her couch.. answering the questions and calling out the Spanish words. I need to remember to ask your Daddy to record a few for you for when we get home.

You play at being cute... you know how well it works for you... it defines you and sets you apart from you sister. Speaking of which... you seem to be trying hard to get the notice and attention Aidan gets. If she can do something... you want to do it too. You are also in the "No, I do it!" stage. I'm hearing that phrase quite a lot lately.

Ainsley, sometimes you're as sweet as sugar and other times you're as stubborn as a mule. I know you would be an absolute brat if you had any Mother other than me. I out-stubborn you... so far.

Finally we ran out of PullUps. You are now in underwear full time. I expect a few accidents here or there but I don't think it'll happen often. Except for the still-used sippy cups and your dinner bib... there is absolutely no more "baby" things in our house. I'm even retiring the highchair... it's time for you to use a booster.

No comments: