Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Coming out of the Closet....

I am thrilled to have a daughter as wonderful and gifted as Aidan is. Daily, I feel blessed to be her Mother. But, oh what a lonely road it is!! Can't I just please... find one person... that doesn't care about what she can do... that doesn't see me giving the facts as a braggart? Or a bad parent? Ugh!

Today, Aidan had her first practice for baseball. Things started well. As all us Moms arrived we smiled and greeted each other. We stood in a group and chatted. But as I always dread... the conversation turned to the kids ages and grade in school and *big surprise* their abilities.

The Moms of the 5 year olds (like Aidan) talked about how their kids missed the cut off date for school and how their kids were smart and ready for K already. One Mom, obviously proud, slipped in how her son was already reading early readers and such.

At times like this... I smile and keep my mouth shut.

But then, proud Mom, turns to me and asks if Aidan was going into K this year.

"Actually, she's home-schooled." I reply.

"Oh, are you doing preschool at home then?"

At this, I squirm, and say something along the lines of "Um, no she's a little ahead for her age."

"Oh, does she read already too?" she keeps on.

"Yes, she loves to read" I answer... pointedly being vague.

"What level does she read?" DANG IT... why does she have to ask?

So, I answer truthfully and then truthfully again when I'm pressed by another incredulous Mom as to what level she is on with Math and writing and such. They asked.. so I answered.

I guess I should have lied.

Because they stood there... staring. An uncomfortable silence ensued. I made some lame attempt at joking it off but when that didn't work.. used Ainsley as an excuse to walk away.

As I turned to go.. proud Mom looks at the other Moms and loudly announces that she "personally believed in letting her kids enjoy being kids."

So, for the rest of practice.. they closed ranks and I was excluded. Friendly smiles from me were not returned.

Again, I should have lied... or changed the subject.. or something.



OH, how lonely I feel!


Yes, lady, my 5 year old can multiply and divide, write beautifully, spell better than her 11 yr old cousin, and *sometimes* act as mature as a grownup... but why does that mean you can't be friends with me?    Why are you so uncomfortable with it?  It is because of people like you, lady, that I feel so lonely... so very lonely. It is because of people like you that make me feel the need to lie and hide the fact that she is of genius level..... ha!... there!.... I said the verboten "G" word.


she looks quickly around and realizes that the world didn't come crashing down


That's right. I'm done pussy-footing around.


Aidan is a genius! 


There, I said it.  


I'm proud of Aidan and her genius little self.


Genius. Genius. Genius.


Ha!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Amen Amen Amen....Genius Genius Genius! It is so true. I got attacked on a gifted forum for blogging about DD, because it's BRAGGING. Seriously, on a gifted forum. No it is not bragging any more than any other mommy blogger is bragging. I just document our lives and I am sorry if that is bragging. I can't help that my not quite 4 year old reads on a 8th grade level, or is firmly taking a 3rd grade math course and holding her own with lots of it being to easy, or that she can write, spell, and create...that is who she is. It is painfully lonely and I really have been struggling with my own depression lately and I believe that so much of it comes from the isolation. It is worse now that everyone is getting ready to start K next year, and here we are, and to even mention anything is taboo, isolating, and I am not letting her be a kid...oh my is she ever a kid, all day long, but she also is her, sitting at the table and discussing regeneration, amputation, prosthetics, asking to write acrostic poems, discussing slavery and the horrors of that time after reading numerous books on the subject, and asking for an atom birthday cake with "an odd number of electrons please. I think 5 would be good." Oh lord, I feel you. That word is a scary word for all of it's implications, but honestly there is no other word that quite describes what we deal with. I have an almost 5 year old that will easily be done with all elementary school curriculum by the end of next school year, but I like you try to hide it, but am often pushed, pushed, pushed to share and then shunned, shunned,shunned. HUGS and more Hugs. Oh how I wish we lived near each other.

TheRockerMom said...

Well, my child is nothing like yours (or Amanda's), but I'm not threatened. You shouldn't have to feel compelled to lie (although, I know insecure people make the situation, not you). I've never understood how the things one child is capable of suddenly diminishes the supposed worth of another child (in the eyes of, again, insecure people/parents). If they're going to drag the info out of you, then get the jump on them. Talk about it freely. Heck... BRAG about it. They're going to see it that way, anyway. Perhaps you should act like Aiden is the norm and there's something wrong with THEIR kids. Okay, perhaps that's harsh, but... then again... Keep blogging.. both of you. I find it extremely fun to read about what you're doing with your children. (I hope this came out the way I meant it. I was interrupted several times while commenting.) I'm sorry you wonderful Mommies are having to go through this. You are doing what is best for your children and that's all that matters. :)

Amanda said...

The Rocker Mom-
Your comment was so beautiful. Thank you. I needed to hear that tonight.

-Amanda

Raising a Happy Child said...

It's a blessing and a curse in one to have a gifted child. At least you can enjoy unique experiences no one else can :)