Friday, February 04, 2011

Busy Week!

Reading

This week Aidan fell in love with Uncle Wiggily's Storybook.  "I LOVE this book, Mommy" she says. With the exception of some Magic School Bus books, Aidan hasn't wanted to read anything else. For our read-aloud book we've been reading Nurse Matilda (Nanny McPhee was based on it). Hopefully we'll finish it sometime next week.

Ainsley read the first Bob book by herself this week. She's very proud of herself.

Math

I've decided to put up Aidan's textbook math curriculum for a while. This week she discovered mixed- math sheets and absolutely loves them! She is not really interested in doing formal lessons (I think they bore her) but rather spur-of-the-moment problems and the mixed sheets. So, I think I'll just put math on the back burner. She's quickly heading towards 2nd grade level math anyway and I love the idea of Aidan taking the lead in her learning for this semester. She still thinks math is fun and I want to keep it that way. Perhaps I'll start Singapore 1B in the summer. Because she is enjoying the mixed-math sheets I'm thinking of ordering Drops in The Bucket from Frog Publications.

More random wipe board exercises 
Ainsley played with unifix cubes and made patterns.

Language

I made a large packet of phonics worksheets for Aidan. I took them out of E.T.C. books 2 and 2.5. Silly me! I though the whole packet would last all week but she sat down and completed it in an hour. HaHa! So, the rest of the week she worked in her handwriting book. I use all other work to practice handwriting and spelling. I still don't see the need to have her do formal spelling because she spells well already and I don't have a problem with helping her with the harder words. 

I brought out the E.T.C. primer A book this week and Ainsley loved it. I'm quite pleased because Aidan never used them. I actually let Ainsley write in it because if I ever do have another kid... it will be far into the future before he/she will be needing it.

Science


We actually did a mini- science experiment this week! We only did the old celery in dyed water but both girls really enjoyed it.  I too actually enjoyed it especially because of their enthusiasm. Since we're not in our own house... big experiments are out but I'm going to try to do a lot of smaller ones.

 1st page of Aidan's science notebook!

2 comments:

Raising a Happy Child said...

You know - I am amazed with how well Aidan can write. My daughter is a lot more asynchronous, she is doing great in math and reading, but absolutely resists writing. I am curious - what are "mixed math" worksheets?

Karin said...

Definitely looks like a very busy week!! I love the pictures!

Squeak is also way more asynchronous too - her writing is pretty much age appropriate!

Have you checked out the Singapore Challenging Word Problems book? You don't need to be going through SM to use it.