Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Weekly Review

I suppose before this week ends
... I need to review last week!

Well, first of all, Aidan spent a lot of time going through T4L lessons. (She also has been trying out Dreambox.com and when it doesn't freeze up... loves it). I think her o.c.d. tendencies are showing and she will literally sit there for 2 hours or more because she hates leaving lessons/chapters unfinished. I am still impressed with the site because it lets me be lazy. Once the site offers her an introduction to a topic... I no longer have to explain it. Heh Heh! Anyway, I had/have to limit her. I'm not letting her use it every day because she needs a break. Next week I plan to give her time limits. (It'll be good for her to have to stop in the middle of a lesson.)



MATH

Aidan went through number bonds again, worked with the Abacus, practiced addition and subtraction, worked on greater than/equal to/ less than, ordinal numbers, money, and other random things.

LANGUAGE

We honestly really didn't do anything overmuch... no phonics... no worksheets... except what was on the T4L.. there she did a lot of stuff.... reading comprehension, phonics, etc.

READING

Aidan flew through her list of words to read and read a variety of books. This week was somewhat amusing because she knew words I really didn't think she would... but then would stumble on words I didn't think would be a problem. :-D I again worked on slowing her down so that she'd use phonics and kept reminding her to ask about a word and not just stumble and skip. A lot of her reading is from clues in the sentences, the pictures, and because she has a great verbal vocabulary. I'm not sure if that's detrimental to reading or not.. but she still seems to be progressing. This week she slightly jumped in level and started reading Berenstain Books and the like... which level I would place around grade 3. Usually she is more comfortable reading an easier level but lately she seems really dedicated to reading the harder books.

ART

The girls made sun catchers with McMama this week. So I'm claiming that was their art project. *grin* Also, Aidan is now signed up for an art class in which she'll start in a few weeks. Her 1st class!! (I think the hardest thing will be that I don't get to sit in. For an hour a week...~gasp~... my daughter will be with people and be doing things that I won't know about!!!!!)

GEOGRAPHY

After re-reading one of her Fancy Nancy books... Boy from Paris... she started a discussion about states and America and such... so I brought out a map and showed her. She then wanted me to show her all the states and told me that I needed to teach her what all of them were. It was really cute the way she did it too. "Wait a minute... WAIT a minute Mommy...you HAVE to teach me ALL of them"... said with her hands splayed in the air. She was sooo serious. LOL!! Anyway, I put the map on the side of our kitchen counter and so now randomly... I'll tell her a state and she'll find it on the map. I'm thinking of having her put together a state notebook but I need to research to find some really great resources. Oh, and she was really happy to spot Hawaii because the night before we had just watched a show on how Hawaii was formed from Volcanoes and it was a nice add-on.



***I haven't forgotten Ainsley... but she wasn't in the mood to "do school" this week and so she happily played with her toys and colored.

2 comments:

Raising a Happy Child said...

Great week. It's great that Aidan is so self-directed in her studies and progresses so quickly.

Karin said...

Glad T4L is working so well! We love Berenstain Bear books too!