Sunday, November 21, 2010

Not Homeschool?

Because of my sister's illness... thoughts of moving to N.C. keep circling in my head. Its very possible I will move and if that does indeed happen... I've got an interesting dilemma. It turns out that the county my sister lives in happens to have a program for exceptional children. It is based in the public schools but it caters to profoundly gifted kids from grade K to grade 8th. (High School is in the works) There are stringent requirement to get into this program (IQ of at least 145, 99% on all grade level tests, an impressive portfolio, recommendations, and interview) but I have little doubt of Aidan getting in. Work is student-driven and has a classical bent. I really like the sound of it but I don't know if I can NOT homeschool her. I planned on homeschooling Aidan before I knew she was "different." Giving up this dream would be hard for me. I especially worry about social issues with public school (gifted kids or not) and I LOVE teaching her, having our time free for whatever, exploring and learning with her. I'd also miss her.

BUT!

There are many positives for a place like that...

*She'd be with peers that are at her level (or near it)
*She has begged to go to school since she was 2.
*She would probably thrive in a structured environment.
*She'd probably work hard for her teachers.
*She would have teachers who could teach at her level because frankly, at some point, she'll surpass my level.
*The school would offer her opportunities I could not.
*It would look great on her resume and open doors for her
*It is very rare to find a school like this. Perhaps it is fate's binding hand that is leading us to it??

Anyway, I contacted the school and they actually recommend for me to have Aidan tested for early enrollment and for her to start next year. WHOA! Although Aidan is perfectly capable of going into Kindergarten... even now at just-turned-4... the idea causes me to panic. I do not want to give up my daughter that young. So, I'd probably keep her and we'd homeschool until she reached legal age to attend. But then should I have her apply?

This is a decision I never thought I'd have to make. Regular public school was always out of the question.

1 comment:

Karin said...

Sounds like a great opportunity! The cut off must be Sept 1st then, huh? Here it's December 1st. I keep thinking that if Squeak were going to school, she would go next fall! I can't even imagine where she would be subject wise then!!

Best of luck with your decision!!