Thursday, October 14, 2010

Things We're Doing

ME

I'm finishing my list of needed items for the official start of 1st grade but I'm also worrying about how long exactly 1st grade will last. Aidan has been doing a lot of the work I have yet to introduce from the computer programs and she shows mastery with a lot of it. However, in my favor, with the family situation being so up-in-the-air... there will be a lot of time-outs with schooling.

Things I'm looking at ordering:
 Practically everything out of Critical Thinking Comp! 
- Language Smarts
-Mathematical Reasoning
-Mind Benders
-Math Analogies
-Building Thinking Skills
-others I cannot remember

 REAL Science 4 kids Biology Pre-level 1

 AIDAN

Aidan still loves to read The Berenstain Bears but has moved on to other things like Little House on the Prairie books (no, she does not read the entire books as they are too long for her) and Cul De Sac kids. She doesn't seem to like the readers anymore although I still would like her to do them for the practice (and because I've collected so many I want her to read them). Math she has been playing around with money, fractions, time, place value, adding, subtracting, all the basics. Mostly I just see the more she does them the less time it takes her to think about the answer. We have been reading about Benjamin Franklin, about early America, about different habitats, mammals, amphibians, and other random things. 

AINSLEY
 Ainsley does not have any interest outside of using the computer with doing school.  She likes to pretend to read books... especially when Aidan is reading... but she doesn't want anyone to sit with her and help her sound out letters... or even tell her the words. Right now she's in the "NO, I DO IT" stage. I let her be. She's a different kid and that's a okay with me. However, she really loves the T4L site. I settle her in front of the computer and give her the mouse and she does great with it. I think I've only seen her get one answer wrong. Of course she only does PreK 1 stuff right now but she is only 2.7 years!

There really hasn't been any worksheets or regular school work being done for the last few weeks. I'm having a hard time fitting it in and because the girls are not on schedule and we're always traveling... I choose to keep things light and relaxed.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I like the critical thinking curriculm. We got some of those last year and did them for school and still pull them out from time to time. Ansley loves the computer too, but our internet connection is so slow here that it is painful to do anything school wise on it. I know she misses that. I am planning to order RightStart Math level B this week for math. I heare you about wondering how long first grade will last, We are doing 2nd/3rd grade reading just to brush on some skills and 1st grade math but she grasps everything really quick and HATES repitition and will shut down. And we are about to move into 2nd grade science in the next few weeks. I kind of figure of well, she will never be just on one level across the board so trying to go with the flow. It sounds like your girls are enjoying the year so far :)

Karin said...

Even though we aren't using anything now, we also love CTC!!